Nutrition Nuggets Recipe: Tandoori Chicken
Recipe Type: Dinner
Looking for a new recipe to mix up the old standbys? Tandoori chicken is a popular Indian dish cooked in a Tandoori oven (don’t worry, you don’t need that for this recipe). The chicken is marinated in yogurt and spices, making it tender and flavorful.
- Skinless, bone-in chicken thighs & legs (as many as you need).
- Plain Yogurt – full fat or low fat, but NOT no-fat! You need the fat to tenderize the meat.
- Jar of Tandoori marinade- our favorite is Patak’s brand. You will probably need to make a stop at an Indian market to find this, but it is worth the trip!
- Mix Yogurt and Tandoori marinade, about half and half mix. You want the mix to be a bright, dark pink/red color. Make enough to generously coat all your chicken.
- Throw in the chicken and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate at least overnight.
- Take out of the fridge 30-60 minutes before cooking.
- We love our tandoori chicken cooked on the grill- since we don’t have a real tandoori oven!
- In bad weather, we roast it in the oven for about 25 minutes uncovered.
Traditional tandoori chicken is served with sliced raw onions on top.
Impress your friends with this delicious but easy Indian dish!