A couple of hours after a meal, and you’re noticing your hunger starting to kick-in again…it’s snack time! Snacks are an excellent way to satisfy hunger between meals, prevent overeating at the next meal, provide your body with a boost of energy, and promote blood sugar control.
Remember to portion and adjust accordingly to what you uniquely need to stay nourished between meals. You may need/want one snack, two snacks, none or all of the snacks. You may just want a slice of banana bread, and that’s ok too! Listen in to your body’s cues. A lunch of snacks is also a fun and easy way to create a quick meal.
Generally you want to include some protein & fiber when building snacks as they tend to promote sustained energy until the next meal, which is especially good on those days when your to-do’s are a bit too long. Be sure to stay hydrated between meals as well.
10 Simple, Satisfying Snacks:
- Guacamole with tortilla chips & red pepper slices
- Hummus & carrots, cucumbers
- Cottage cheese or yogurt with berries, add nuts/granola for extra crunch!
- Cheddar cheese & whole grain crackers
- Peanut butter & apple slices
- Trail mix & air-popped popcorn
- Grapes & cheese stick
- Tuna fish & whole wheat crackers
- ½ of a peanut butter & banana sandwich
- Cherry tomato & mozzarella bites
Audrey Caspar-Clark MS, RD, LDN, Doris Piccinin, MS, RD, CDE, CSO, LDN, Carly Roop, RD, CSO, MA, LDN, and Caroline Meehan, RDN, CSOWM, LDN, CDCES are the registered dietitians at the Abramson Cancer Center at Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine who specialize in cancer nutrition and provide information based on sound nutritional therapies to support patients throughout their cancer treatment.